A Little Local Flavor






I have two things on my mind today, and conveniently enough, they're very much connected. One is food and the other is place.

Over the past year, I've gone through both a physical and mental transformation. The way I think about food today and the way I thought about food even just a year ago are so polar opposite that it's hard for me to wrap my mind around at times. That being said, I must make a declaration... or, let's call it an admission. I think food trends are obnoxious. To each their own, but *yawn*. However, I have found myself becoming more and more committed to two concepts regarding what I put in my body. I want it to be real food, and I want it to be local whenever possible. Does that mean I don't eat a Cheeto? It does not mean that. One of my favorite things in the world is a good ole' peanut M&M. What it means is that I am, at least, more mindful at this stage in life to not spend all my food dollars on garbage. As I've learned more and more about food as energy, my pallet has expanded and I have simply found that whole food, real food, is simply just more delicious. A direct correlation between real meat, vegetables, fruits, and grains in their most pure form seems to be that the closer these products are grown to home, the fresher they are and the more tasty they are. A little over a year ago, when I decided to change everything about the way I interact with food, I was worried that some of the delicious delicious preservative filled flavor of my life would be lost in the transition. I was so wrong. I've found instead that the most satisfying meals are meals that have a story, a people, and a purpose behind them. 



The other thing on my mind today is place. This place. The place where I live. In my inaugural blog, I talked about how my thoughts and feelings about the tri-state area have changed in recent months. Since writing about that, I've been thinking about all the truly engaging experiences I have had this summer while getting to know Cincinnati and the surrounding area in a new way. This place is overflowing with personality. It just took looking at it all from a fresh perspective to see. From the chili parlors built from the dreams of Greek immigrants, to the ever growing arts community, to the pervasive yet endearing Germanic architecture and way of speaking, and all points of interest in between, there are stories here that are worth experiencing. 

An example of some of the incredible mural art 
that dots the Cincinnati landscape 

Nowhere do my thoughts about my region and my thoughts about food intersect more perfectly than at Findlay Market. Until very recently, I had never stepped foot onto the hallowed grounds of this Cincinnati institution. If I were one to dwell on my failings, I would be decidedly sad about the missed lazy days perusing the meat counters, cheese stalls, and various vendors in this quaint but bustling market in the middle of Over The Rhine. Instead, I am just incredibly stoked to now be part of the crowd that understands and appreciates this colorful and delicious part of our city. 



There is something so absolutely and decidedly Cincinnati about Findlay Market that it's hard to put into words for the uninitiated. Here is this place selling local foods, crafts, and other sundries situated in what was once one of our most depressed neighborhoods. It is a place that has survived despite and thrived across decades of prosperity, neglect, disinterest, and rebirth. While I fully acknowledge the pitfalls of the re-gentrification of urban neighborhoods, there is no question this is an area of our fair city that has seen a phoenix like rebirth in the past decade. Visitors to Findlay Market are the lucky beneficiaries of this rise from the ashes.

Adorable outdoor seating lining the promenade  

I've been to Findlay twice this summer, and I fully intend to continue making regular trips. There is so much there that I need in my life. With my new found dedication to local, non-processed foods, it occurs to me that most of my shopping can be done with the local vendors that supply amazing meats, cheeses, breads, spices, grains, and even sweets. I think one of the most surprising aspects of Findlay Market is how reasonable the prices tend to be. One trip to Whole Foods, and it seems as if the premium for eating well is outside my meager pay-scale. This is not the case at Findlay Market.  Prices are comparable or even better than one finds even at the local mega mart. However, it's been my experience that the quality exceeds said mega mart and even the aforementioned, wallet stretching Whole Foods. 

And let's be honest, one of the best parts about spending an hour or so at Findlay Market is definitely having lunch. On my first trip, I went for a hand rolled, pork egg roll. The wrapper was crunchy and savory while the veggies and pork were fresh and bursting with flavor. In a region where I feel like the reasonably priced Americanized Chinese style food offerings are sorely lacking, this was a truly great bite. Of course, The Mom goes with me on these Findlay trips, so we get to try multiple vendors. On that first trip, we also had a chicken taco from Mamma Lo Hizo. The flavor is so fabulous in this chicken that, today, we bought a bottle of their adobo spice blend in hopes of recreating it at home. That's probably not going to happen, but, by goodness, we're going to try. Today we also split a breakfast sandwich from Em's Bread Cafe. Lawd, people!! The Mom and I are bread eaters. I truly believe if we could only have one food in our home for the rest of eternity it would be really good fresh baked bread. The crusty on the outside, soft in the middle kind. The bread on the sandwich from Em's Bread Cafe sandwich was so crunchy and so delicious that I almost forgot about the savory ham, egg, and cheese that made up the proteins. The house made aioli was herbaceous and a perfect accompaniment to the aforementioned eggs, ham, and cheese. On subsequent trips, I plan to dive into some of their other sandwich offerings. Now, I love a good gelato, and there is a gelato stand, but I've never tried it. Why haven't I dug into that creamy, sweet amazingness? Because of Taste of Belgium, that's why!!! I think I sometimes dream about that crunchy, buttery waffle goodness. I am all about the standard Belgium waffle with no accompaniment, but they also offer these decadent treats with fruit, chocolate, and any number of other sweet deliciousness. If you've not been privileged enough to try a waffle from Taste of Belgium, erase everything you think you know about waffles from your mind before trying them. These are not hotel breakfast fair. These are everything that is good, heavenly, and exceptionally decadent about life changing desserts.  Hey, I said I was trying to be good and eat well. The Mom and I did split one. I'm not perfect!! 

The mom savoring everything that is good and right about Taste of Belgium

I wonder what the world would look like a generation from now if just half of us dedicated ourselves to eating real food and shopping locally whenever we can? I hesitate to come across as preachy at the end of a perfectly mundane post, but this feels so important. There is a sense of community that comes with patronizing these places. Even beyond Findlay Market. We've started buying bread from a local bakery. I always have such great conversations with the ladies that run the counter there when I stop in. I don't have those conversations at the mega mart. I don't feel good about my purchases at Kroger like I do when I shop places like Emerson's Bakery or Findlay Market. I don't feel quite as connected and well nourished. One of the many things I love about Millennials is that they seem to understand this in a way my generation or the Boomers never did. I think this is why we are seeing a true renaissance of local shopping, eating, and consuming.  When we are connected to what we eat and where we shop, then we are connected more to each other. When I visit places like Findlay Market... when I buy their food... when I utilizes these services to nourish my body, I also nourish my mind and my soul because these places have soul and soul is contagious. I can always use a little more of that in my life. 

A street performer adding a little soul to a sunny Friday at Findlay Market 


Comments

  1. I am right there with you on being more conscientious as to what I put in my body. I am still trying to break those old ways of thinking and have to correct myself when I catch myself doing it. One of our future outings has to be the Market. I would love to be able to walk and people-watch and get into a good old fashioned discussion about whatever topic might be on our minds. And while it was hard to accept, you are very correct about Millennials. As much as I want to choke them, they are right about a lot. And to be honest, it was our parents generation got us onto this mess. Its interesting being in the generation between them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, my friend, is a definite date!! You know, I didn't realize I missed those conversations. I do! Look forward to it.

    And I must admit, I'm a closet Millennial lover. I think they have a lot of really good ideas about the direction of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts