First, Do No Harm: A prayer for teachers

Well, my time here is almost up. By here I mean, of course, the fabled land of summer vacation. It's been a nice visit... actually, it's been an absolutely grand visit, but this is a place we were never meant to stay. It's a few short weeks of bliss that provide respite and hopefully some clarity of mind for my my fellow educators and me.

Tomorrow, it's back to schedules, alarm clocks, and actually thinking about what I'm going to wear. There's something to be said for the ability to reach blindly into a drawer or closet and just go with whatever I happen to grab.

I start a new position tomorrow (which is why I'm heading back a bit earlier than most of my counterparts). I'm still in the world of education, but my day will look a little differently than it has in years past. A part of my soul will be hollow with an unfilled classroom roster that is all mine, but beyond that, every part of me is excited for this new opportunity.

Despite a new role, I still find myself having the same thought that I have every single year as the calendar ticks toward the time of pencil sales, shiny new backpacks, and ringing classroom bells. Actually, it's more than a thought; it's a prayer.

There is an oath that those in medicine take that implores "first, do no harm". Several years ago, when I began my work in education, it occurred to me that this thought also applies to the world in which my colleagues and I operate.

My most sincere prayer for all of us as the school year looms large goes something like this...

Lord, first and foremost, I pray that through it all... through the hard moments, through the silly moments, through the exciting moments... through the pain, the tears, the laughter, the joy, and the awe... through the early mornings, late nights, cold cups of coffee, and all of the unexpected, let us do no harm. Let our words remain calm, kind, patient, and understanding. Let our personal fears for our students and our future come out in our words only as love, hope, and encouragement. Let us ALWAYS see the hope of our future in the eyes of every child we are so graciously allowed to care for. Let us work with willing hearts and reckless abandon to meet the mandates, raise the scores, and crunch the data, but, in the end, let not one of us ever forget the entirety of the children that put their faith in us. Let us always remember that they are more... that each and every child is a complete soul full of curiosity, talent, and light. Even when they try to hide this beauty through circumstance or willfulness, let us always remember the truth of their uniqueness of spirit and their worthiness. Remind us to care for ourselves so that we can always be at our best to care for them. Thank you for the opportunity everyday to make a difference, make a way, and guide a soul.

God bless all of you, my incredible educator friends. You do truly Good work.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts